Friday, October 3, 2014

Primi di Parma

Primi di Parma. First Impressions. The initial moments of being a Parmesan have been exhilarating, surprising, and full of family tradition. Upon first meeting my host mother, Elisa, I had apprehension about joining a new family, acclimating to a new home, and being able to surpass the barriers of communication to form the bonds of a relationship. Elisa’s high heels, quick refrain and dangling cigarette comprised part of my introduction to life with the Serpini Fornari family, which I imagine will have bouts of excitement and plentiful surprises in the upcoming months.

Upon our arrival, Caroline, my roommate, and I, passed through the closed gates of an apartment complex to enter what would be our new home for the next two months. We were delighted to find a comfortable and adorable accommodation on the first floor of the complex, the rest of which is occupied by primarily the extended family of our host mother. A bit of unpacking was followed by a lengthier session of information on our stay- everything from how we separate the recyclables to what we enjoy eating for breakfast.

Our introduction was cut short by the way of the welcome to Parma dinner, a delectable six course meal held in a former candle shop. Antipasto was followed by two primi- tortellini and gnocchi, then glazed ham and warm salad. We had a baby bed of strawberries surrounded by a crib of chocolate and blanket of cream for dessert. 


The first night in Parma was only a glimpse to what the city has in store. Already, further adventures have unfolded and impressions have been formed. Gliding through the city streets by way of a bicycle, traveling to the Cathedral or stopping in for lunch, I feel comfortable, relaxed and welcome. While I enjoyed my time in Florence, I am happy to have arrived in the authentic Italian city of Parma. My intuition tells me that the nature of life in the city is analogous to the aging of its cheese- it only gets better with time, even if it is already incredible.

No comments:

Post a Comment