Monday, October 20, 2014

Outpost; Originating Experiences, Opening Opportunities

Last weekend was an intermediary step in my abroad experience that proved to be an invaluable tool for reflection, excellent weekend amongst new friends and incredible introduction to Dublin, Ireland. I served as a leader on the retreat Outpost, during which I contemplated the relevance of my abroad experience, how to take ownership of my future endeavors and the method by which I would like to continue approaching the remainder of the semester. Amidst thoughtful conversation, I was surrounded by an outstanding group of individuals with whom I am proud to share the privilege of attending Boston College. The precipitous atmosphere of comfort that descended upon the group was unlike that which I have experienced previously. I was wholeheartedly comfortable being myself and providing a platform for others to do the same.

This trip began with my first stay in a hostel. I have never travelled in this manner, and to be honest, I was slightly frightened upon my arrival. Winding through the streets of Dublin near midnight, I was (forcibly) greeted by many interesting individuals. Continuing on to the hostel, I entered a room where the other Boston College students were already resting for the weekends events, only to find a stranger who thought it would be a good idea to store ham in her room temperature suitcase. Pleasant. When I did awake the next morning, I was able to dine with my fellow leads and enjoy an amazing piece of goat cheese-vegetable quiche. One thing I miss from America is eggs in the morning. That void was most definitely filled by my Irish breakfast. Plus, I needed a jumpstart for the days events ahead. I officially began the retreat activities at Boston College Ireland around noontime, where I gave the polished version of my Expectations speech. Enveloped by a sea of red (maroon) colored carpets and walls, while in the company of many BC banners and flags, I felt an instant sense of belonging in this alternate home away from home.

Onward to the retreat destination, Kippure Estate. The beautiful grounds of Kippure Estate are located approximately one hour outside of Dublin, allowing the retreat participants to move beyond the chaos of a city environment and be at peace with their surroundings in the gorgeous countryside. Mingling and mixing amongst group members, faculty and staff proceeded, until around 8:00 when I delivered my talk. To kick of the lecture series, I described my experience with expectations abroad, from the apprehensions, to the bouts of excitement, disappointment and uncertainty. Elucidating how the most formative parts of my experience where not those that I had anticipated prior to hopping on a plane at Logan Airport, I demonstrated how my preconceived notions were altered when I allowed impressions to be formed based on the happenings around me rather than the archives of my friends facebook pages or another recommendation on Trip Advisor. Getting shot at by nerf guns, sharing conversation over a lovely Italian dinner and hearing another rendition of Macklemore’s Thrift Shop by my little brother Lorenzo proved to be the most memorable moments thus far, far above the swaying of a crowd at Octoberfest or temporary stay in an airport for a layover.

In addition to the organic memories interspersed throughout my everyday experiences, the intentional conversations that took place over the weekend were throughout provoking and transformation. Conversation spurred form the various talks given, which ranged in topic from relationships to personal insights. Many of the participants were willing to be vulnerable, honest and authentic which made the experience more meaningful, deep and personable. The struggles encountered by some of my peers in their abroad experience and otherwise have helped me to retain perspective, considering the difficulties we all face and carry with us throughout our journey. I was also highly impressed with the faculty “sweeps” who volunteered personal information, moments of discernment and acquired insights, which prompted further conversation, reflection and sharing.


Although many moments pertained to more serious topics, we certainly had our fun as well. Thursday afternoon we were able to put on our wellies (rainboots) and hike through a stream in the mountains. As a group, we trekked up the mountain and stood in the gusting Irish winds for about an hour. Being atop the mountain was truly breathtaking. My world was paused, even though the continuum of time kept going. Moments like these are irreplaceable. They aren’t crafted by a detailed agenda, or pre-planned itinerary. They arise when one is willing to be open, receptive and spontaneous. I am perfectly aware that I did not choose to create this seemingly perfect moment on the mountain, but I did elect to subject myself to the possibility of encountering new situations, people and conversations. This mentality  was embraced throughout the weekend. Outpost beckoned the question of how to navigate these opportunities, embrace unknown possibilities, and take ownership of this unique experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment