Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Bicycles, Brunch and Beginnings

Throughout the duration of my first week in Parma, I have felt warmly welcomed, continually curious and indisputably impressed. The enthusiasm and adoration I have for this city has continued since the evening of the welcome dinner. Complete with my Parma experience was a bicycle rental. Pedaling across cobblestone streets, weaving in and out of buses and seeing classmates from across the Ponte Mezzo, I have enjoyed my cyclist experience so far in Parma. Interestingly, Parma has the third highest bicycle per person ratio in the world, following Beijing and Amsterdam. Here, the bikes rule the road. Traffic lights give way to bicycle crossings, rather than simply automobile routes. Green painted bike paths span the city streets. Parking spots for bikes are harder to find than spaces for cars. And don’t forget the bike bell- it’s a signature sound that precedes your appearance and marks your departure.

Besides the wonders of pedaling through Parma,  I have begun to explore the city. Passing by the Annunziata Church, I am located in the relative center of the city, near Villa Farini and Piazza Garibaldi. Saturday served as an opportunity to explore the city market, mingle with the people of Parma and ascertain a better sense for the character of the city. Sunday beckoned a family breakfast affair, American style. Again, I found myself helping to prepare the typical American breakfast enterprises- bacon eggs, and pancakes- but no complaints. My little brother, Leonardo, even said that the pancakes were the best pancakes he ever had, which made my heart melt faster than the butter pats on our toast. I am finding another home away from home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment