Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Carbonara in Cooking Class


The excitement for 19:00 Monday evening was insurmountable. I had grand expectations for cooking class with the legendary Anna Buonomi, admired friend of Boston College for many years and excellent chef for many years longer. I had elected to come to Parma with the knowledge that a cooking class would comprise part of my schedule. I did not realize that the cooking class was taught by Anna, a kind hearted, passionate woman of about 5’2”. When first arriving to Anna’s house, we were welcomed to her kitchen, seated around the stove, and subject to a wide range of aromas that were responsible for l'acquolina in bocca, (mouth watering). Crowded around her little stove, we learned how to prepare Spaghetti alla Carbonara, a delicate mix of crisped bacon, oil, cheese, egg, salt and pepper. A surplus of pecorino romano and one kilogram of pasta was more than enough to kick off our wonderful meal. After finishing my portion of one of the most incredible pasta dishes I have ever tasted, I was offered a platter of meats and cheeses, in typical Parma fashion. This was only the beginning. Anna had prepared a six course meal, also consisting of ricotta with cinnamon, bread, salad and a chocolate torte. Delectable. A feast to remember. The best part, knowing that I would be back soon again next Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment