Sunday, September 28, 2014

The Passion of the Pederzani’s, Pancaldi’s and Persiceto

Sunday. The Passion of the Pederzani’s, Pancaldi’s and Persiceto

What constitutes a family? I was gazing into the country side of San Giovanni, sitting in the front seat of a Fiat, and moving just fast enough so the individual pieces of vegetation on the flat plane became indiscernible, melding into a subtle green blanket over the landscape. My thoughts pertaining to family were just the same. A discriminate definition was impossible, but the facets that comprised the warmth and comfort I experienced this weekend were all too clear. Bocelli walked in and out of my eardrums, my thoughts moving between the events of the weekend and the scenery that danced before me.

Stepping off the platform in Bologna, I completely unsure of which direction to move next. Unsettling? Strangely, no. Would it have been for most people, in a foreign country, in an unfamiliar city? Likely, but I was somehow just happy to breath in the air of Bologna. I meandered towards an escalator, seeming that the only proper course of action would be to move toward the “uscita” or “exit.” I reached into my bag for my phone, fumbling over a few loose Euros, my tangled pair of headphones, and finally locating the plastic lifeline. I dialed Maria, only to discover she was located 19 platforms away. Completely fine. With the direction of an officer, I turned right, up another set of stairs and went straight ahead, engulfed by a crowd of eager passengers travelling in the opposite direction. I moved towards another set of stairs. I stepped carefully, dodging loose patches of unfamiliar substances while keeping enough speed in my step to avoid being trampled by anyone trying to make the next train . I glanced up at the sound of my name, which I realized had come from Maria. My eyebrows shot up, my mouth shifted into a huge grin. We hugged as if we had known each other for longer than the embrace lasted. Cousins finally meet!!!

Alasandra and Giovanni were quick to spot the embrace and run over to meet me. I was in a state of bliss. We exited the station, crossed the street, and hopped on a tour Bologna bus, double decker style. Off to an exciting beggining, we chatted while sailing bustop through the narrow city streets of Bologna. I was discovering the historical origins of the major city in the Emilia Bologna region, from which I had ancestors. The ports, or doors, to the city were left standing despite the demolition of the city walls. Each passageway granted access to a different region of the city, with it’s own distinct characteristics, historical importance and current state of activity. The bus tour was followed by a walking expedition, so we could set foot in the churches, streets and shopping areas of Bologna. A highly informative presentation of the city was followed by a lovely lunch, where Maria, Alasandra, Giovanni, Franchesko (Maria’s boyfriend) and I each enjoyed our own personal pizza. My Naples style pie was topped with prosciutto di Parma, arugula, pecorino Romano and just the right blend of spices. After concluding a wonderful meal and making a few more stops in historic locations, we ventured towards San Giovanni of Persiceto, where the Pancaldi family lives. Winding through the countryside, which contained cypress trees, rolling hills, and a scene unlike any other, we arrived at San Giovanni about a half hour later.

The family’s house was adorable, a condominium complex with a terrace view. Maria and I chatted about the family, exchanging words while looking into the countryside. We decided to leave for a “spritz” with Daniele, her little brother. By bike, we rode into the city center, which was bustling with extra energy for festival of autumn. An annual celebration, the autumnal festival occurs prior to the start of the fall harvest. Vendors lined the streets while people crowded the city square. After securing our bikes, Maria, Daniele and I sat down to our spritz, a delightful orange drink with finger sandwiches and peanuts. Giovanni and Alasandra met us to show more of San Giovanni and take us to dinner. We were fortunate enough to gain access to the town hall, where Alessandra works, and where the familial relations of the Pederzani’s were discovered. Several years ago, my Aunt Donna was researching the ancestry of the Pederzani family. Alessandra recognized the relation between herself and Donna, while looking in the registrar at the town hall. Connections were realized, relationships were established and the visitations commenced. Donna and Geraldine visited San Giovanni years ago. I am proud to have set foot in the same place, held the documents detailing the history of the Pederzani’s and share incredible moments with the kind people I met this weekend, that I now consider my family.

The liveliness of the square had grown while we were in the town hall. Darkness had begun to set on the horizon and hunger had set in our stomachs. I was excited to try crescentine, a traditional meal made of what reminded me of a fried dough ham sandwich. Incredible. I ate this wonderful meal in the company of my family, meeting new members as well. Little cousins abounded our table- family was all around. I was in the serenity of seasonal festivities, joyful screams and happy family.

The next morning began with fresh eggs, crisped bacon and delicious ham. Alasandra and I worked to make a traditional American breakfast, which was much enjoyed by all. While in Italy, the meal usually consists of biscotti or breakfast cookies and a simple espresso. Today a larger, American style meal was shared. Breakfast was followed by a drive to Decima, where I was to meet Claudio, his wife, and his son- also my relatives. They lived in the original location of some of my ancestors. I stepped through the low archway that stood behind their current house, into the terra cotta structure that was the house of my ancestors. Leaving this space and stepping onto the beautiful outdoor lawn, I chatted with my cousins, making conversation and sharing stories. We sat down to enjoy an incredible meal, consisting of many courses, all of which were extraordinary. The primary antipasto consisted of prosciutto, ham, pickled zucchini from the garden, balsamic aged for twenty years and bread. Toasting to my arrival, we shared this course and then the tortellini, which was hand crafted by Claudio himself. Rice and meatballs followed, and then some secondini- steak Florentine, pork, vegetables and salad. Wine accompanied the courses, a perfect paring of aromas and flavors. Gelato was served as the final course. Hugs were exchanged, goodbyes were said and promises to meet again were made.


Driving away from Decima, I began to think about the merits of a family. Family is comprised of a warmth, an intangible collection of emotions, memories and loyalties which are embedded deep within the people that share the bond. Family also contains a brilliance- a radiation of soul and spirit that emerges when initial contact is made, something that elicits a sense of warmth unlike any other experienced. When I stepped off the stair to meet the warm welcome of Maria, it was an instantaneous bond that was fortified over the two days I spent in San Giovanni. Leaving the Pancalidi’s, I felt as though I was saying goodbye to people whom I had know for much longer than the extent of time I spent with them. I am excited to keep in touch, to keep the family history alive and to continue cultivating the already strong bond that exists in this family.

No comments:

Post a Comment