Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Seeing Sienna.

Wednesday. Seeing Sienna. Today, I was able to enjoy the breathtaking Sienna Cathedral. Travelling to town via autobus, as the locals say, I parted ways with the pandemonium of Florence and entered the serenity of Sienna. Though I thoroughly enjoy the energy of Florence, I was delighted to spend the day in a quieter, quaint scene. The steep, intertwining streets led to the façade of the gorgeous Cathedral of Siena. This Gothic structure came to be around 1300 AD. After discussing the relative significance of frescoes that decorate the walls, the pointed arches that demarcate the Gothic architecture, and disjointed vertical lines of the buildings façade, I sat down to a lovely lunch. Perched at a local café where the bellower of the cathedral was just in sight , I enjoyed an incredible caprese salad. The ball of mozzarella in the middle neared the size of a tennis ball, and the chocolate cannoli to follow was of comparable size. Although the academic portion of my day concluded, the indulgences continued. I ventured to Eduardo’s gelateria along with a few of my study abroad-mates for a birthday celebration cone. While waiting in line for arguably the worlds best gelato, I met a couple from Denver, Colorado. Although our conversation originally centered around my studies and weekend plans, it quickly inverted to new technology for pediatric cardiology patients, electrolyte imbalances related to sporting activities, and medical schools in Colorado. Simple conversations like these, the smaller things, are what distinguish the individual experience of study abroad. Gazing into the façade of the Duomo, one of the most beautiful cathedrals in the world, while indulging in cinnamon flavored gelato and espousing my beliefs in healthcare as a humanistic centered practice rather than simply a scientific endeavor, just about makes me the happiest girl in the world.  You simply don’t know what you may run into, when you rest your textbook on the ledge of the desk, slip the computer into sleep mode, and step into the streets of the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment