Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Admiring Athens, Adventuring in Amsterdam


The past few weekends have decimated my expectations, erected a new realm of knowledge, and absolutely astonished me in every way possible. Whether climbing around the Acropolis or arranging Amsterdam museum visits, I have been pleased by the cultural experiences I have acquired over the past month in the company of great friends. In Athens, I was able to traverse the land with some of my favorite Parmesans. Sights seen include the Acropolis, Olympic Stadium and Parthenon. While wandering the intricate streets of Plata, I saw numerous cafes, boasting with character and a unique flavor. Markets and shops were abundant- I even purchased an evil eye necklace for good luck.

The dining experience in Greek was very pleasing to the palate. Plates ranged from falafel to Gyros and café freddo, my favorite beverage of the weekend. This coffee drink was a frothed version of a iced espresso, dolloped with a dash of foamy milk. Simply amazing.


Amsterdam had it’s own set of accouterments, many of which are a tribute to the unique and rich culture of the area. My first impression of Amsterdam was very welcoming. English was spoken everywhere. My succeeding impressions were highly variable, based on the attractions I encountered. I did enter and pass through the Red Light district and saw some interesting cafes. The highlight of the experience was the Van Gogh Museum, The Rijksmuseum and the “I (Am)sterdam” display. Not to mention, I had excellent (haha) omelets and hollandaise sauce. I also treated myself to a steak dinner (for Thanksgiving) and some chicken wings (different meal). The food was almost as varied as the clientele and educational features of the city. Again, expanding my world view was much appreciated and beckons further interest traveling abroad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment