Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Bests in Belgium

This past weekend, I travelled to Brussels and Brugge, in the beautiful land of Belgium. I was fortunate to be amongst my best friends, weaving through narrow streets and tasting fine chocolates, in a landscape speckled with fall foliage. The elegance and warmth of the scenery was a perfect complement to the company of my best friends. We convened in central Belgium, which became our anchor point for the weekend, although the majority of our time was spent in Brugge. Only an hour by train, Brugge was an intimate town of immense character. Delicate, sugar dusted waffles, heaping piles of warm fries with mayonnaise, and morsels of fine, marscarpone infused chocolate pleased my palate throughout the entire day. We were also able to sit down in tea shoppes, enjoy Christmas shopping and laugh as our silly, silly selves.


Conversing about our differential experiences develops my knowledge about how my  friends new homes have been transformative, as well as reminds me how much I appreciate my temporary home of Parma. Learning about Molly and Bridget’s host mom, the paella that is her staple dish, and the intricacies of the flamenco dance class that takes place on Monday evenings. are the small details of the conversation that give me a glimpse into life in Seville, even if I will never visit or life there. Rome occupies a completely new space in my mind when I learn of the places and experiences Krista has had while living there over the past few months. Despite the variable nature of our experiences, a common thread remains embedded in our desires; to enjoy the company of each other, return for our next semester at B.C. and continue to grow throughout the duration of this experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment